Macon United Methodist Church
Wednesday, June 28, 2017
175 Years Of Giving God to Glory

 

 

Macon's History

 

Macon church celebrated it's 150th anniversary in 1984.

 

 

                                  150th Anniversary

                                           1984

 

 

                                                                                    

                                                                                                                       150th Anniversary

                                                                                                                    Mike and Arlene Papp

 

It all began in 1834 with a small Bible study group meeting together in people's homes to study, pray, and praise God. From there, this small Methodist group began to grow.

 

In 1868 the Macon Methodist-Episcopal Church had it's own building. Over the years several churches have opened and closed in Macon. Macon United Methodist Church is the last church in town, but she's far from being closed.

 

Macon Church was part of the underground railroad prior to the Civil war. The church helped several escaped slaves find freedom in Canada. Several men from the Macon area fought and died in the Civil War to set all slaves in America free.
 
 
In 1916, The Macon Church underwent a serious renovation. The entire building was raised so they could add a basement. An overflow room was added to the North side of the sanctuary where the new front entrance was located. And the roof was removed and fitted to cover the entire new addition. When you look at pictures of the church before and after the renovation it is hard to believe it's the same building. But, most of the structure of the original building are still here, more than 140 years old and still holding firm.

 

The Sunday School addition was built in 1968 to accommodate a growing Sunday School.

 

In 1969 two denominations, The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, merged and became the United Methodist Church; so we are now the Macon United Methodist Church (UMC). 

 

One of the most historic figures to be associated with Macon was Henry Ford, the auto giant. He owned land in the Macon area and several houses. Henry Ford often used Macon as a retreat for himself from the pressures of Detroit and Dearborn. He also experimented with agriculture in the Macon area to see about making upholstery using agricultural products.

 

Over the last few decades many Protestant Denominations have seen a great deal of loss in membership and attendance. But, at Macon we are starting to see some growth and hope for the future.

 

Macon celebrated her 175th Anniversary in June 2009.

 

 

 

 

 

The word Macon means "Mason" in French, and "Maker" in English. For nearly 200 years God has been building something good here in Macon.

 

Don't discount a church because it's small or in a remote area. The Word of God has been powerful in little Macon, and will continue to be powerful. Come join us and help make some new history for our church and for God's kingdom in the world.